As in other EU countries, students who are not Czech citizens must fulfill certain immigration requirements in order to study at AAU. Take our Visa Quiz to find out what type of visa you need and how to apply!

EU and EFTA Citizens

Students who are EU or EFTA nationals (i.e. citizens of the 27 EU member states, plus Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Switzerland) DO NOT require a visa to study at AAU. It is enough to arrive with a valid passport (or national ID card), and to register with the Czech Immigration authorities within 30 days of arrival. Further instructions will be available at registration.

Non-EU Citizens

Students from outside the EU or EFTA (so-called “third-country nationals”) DO require a visa or a residence permit to study in the Czech Republic. Although some minor exemptions apply (in particular for students from countries with a short-term visa waiver, whose total stay in the EU will last less than 90 days), in most cases a visa (or residence permit) will be necessary. This includes students from EU candidate countries. Visas and residence permits are issued at Czech consulates in your country of origin (and/ or country of residence), and must be obtained before coming to Prague. It is not possible to apply for a visa after your arrival, or even to pick up a visa you have previously applied for. Processing times can be up to 90 days. We therefore strongly urge all applicants to contact their local Czech consulate in good time.

Visa or Residence Permit?

Under current Czech immigration law, you can apply for two different kinds of immigration document at the consulate before you come to Prague (you can choose). Each has its advantages and disadvantages, which you can discuss in more detail at the consulate, but briefly they are as follows:

Student Visa Residence Permit
In Czech vizum za ucelem studia povoleni k dlouhodobemu pobytu za ucelem studia
Valid for 6 months 1 year
Advantages requires initial funding/housing/insurance for only 6 months of studies. valid for the whole of your first year of study.
Disadvantages will need to be renewed no later than half-way through the first year of your studies, if you are continuing your studies beyond a single semester. (i) requires initial funding, housing, and insurance for a full year of study (double the funds required for a 6-month visa); (ii) you will be required to pick up a biometric ID card from the Czech Ministry of the Interior on arrival, which will involve additional expense.

Study Abroad students and Exchange students, who are coming to AAU for just a single semester, are recommended to apply for a 6-month Student Visa, since this is simpler. Degree-seeking students, who will be studying at AAU for a longer period than this, may find it a better idea to apply for a 12-month residence permit (though ultimately this is your decision, and we will respect your preferences).

Applying: Official Information Resources

In the Czech Republic, the administration of visas and residence permits is divided between the Ministry of the Interior (MOI), which handles foreign nationals already resident in the Czech Republic, and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA), which runs the consular service at the Embassy where you will be making your initial visa application. Both ministries have extensive English-language information pages regarding visas and immigration, and we recommend you read them. The most import websites for student visa applicants are as follows:

Applying: Summary of Procedures

Below, for your convenience, we summarise the documents you will need in order to apply for either a visa or a residence permit. The information has been compiled from the best sources available at time of writing, and is accurate to the best of our abilities, but please remember that immigration rules can change, and that individual Czech consulates may have local arrangements (such as an appointments system) to help them deal with local issues.

For this reason, our summary is no substitute for the official information pages above. We strongly urge you to read the official pages as well, and to check with the consulate where you will be making your visa application.

Applying: What You Will Need

Application Form Completed. This form is available in pdf on the MOI website (above), and in hard copy at Czech consulates.
Valid Passport That is, a passport no more than 10 years old, with at least 2 free pages, valid for at least 3 months after your planned date of departure from the Czech Republic.
Letter of Acceptance Supplied by AAU after we receive payment for your first semester of study. See Payment section below for further details. Exchange students and Erasmus students who are entitled to a waiver of school fees under the terms of our Erasmus (or exchange) agreement will receive the Letter of Acceptance automatically, as soon as their application has been approved, and do not have to send any money. Study Abroad students coming to Prague through an agency like CEA should follow the financial instructions of their agency.
Confirmation of Housing Because AAU does not have its own housing facility, we cannot supply this ourselves, but you can arrange it through one of the landlords on our list of recommended housing providers. Student Services will send you the list as soon as your application is completed. Please remember you will need confirmed housing for the WHOLE of your stay (i.e. 6 months for a visa, 12 months for a residence permit). Study Abroad students: your arrangements are again slightly different. If you are coming to Prague through CEA or another agency, they will secure housing. Please contact your agency for details.
Evidence of Financial Support Generally this means a bank statement to show that you (or a sponsoring family member) have enough funds to cover your living costs for the duration of your stay, so again the exact amount will depend on whether you apply for a visa or a residence permit. Details on the MOI website.
2 Passport Photographs

At the request of the consulate, you may also be asked to provide Confirmation that you do not have a criminal record: which generally means a statement form the Register of Criminal Records (or equivalent) in your home country to say they have no record of you. If you have resided in a third country for more than six months in the last 3 years, you may be asked to provide confirmation from this country as well. Details on the MOI website.

Collecting Your Visa or Residence Permit

Visas and residence permits are generally processed within 60 days, though in exceptional cases we have known the process to extend beyond this. When it is ready, you will have to pick up your visa (or residence permit) at the same consulate where you made the application, so please factor this into your travel plans. It is not possible to pick it up at a different consulate, or in the Czech Republic. When you go to pick up your visa, the consulate will ask for proof that you have purchased Health Insurance for your stay. You do not have to have health insurance at the time you make your visa application, but you do have to have it before they will issue the visa. Your Health insurance must be valid for the Czech Republic and provide minimum cover of 60,000 Euro. Please note that the Czech Republic currently has very complicated rules regarding health insurance, including a requirement that you arrange insurance with a Czech provider for your visa renewal. For that reason, we strongly recommend that you apply for Czech health insurance now, rather than relying on an international company. AAU has a deal with UNIQUA CZ, which allows you to apply for insurance online. See the Health Insurance section for further details.

On Arrival

All non-EU (non-EFTA) students are required to report to the Czech authorities within 3 working days of arrival:

  • Students traveling on a 6-month visa report to the local branch of the Immigration Police.
  • Students traveling on a residence permit report to the Ministry of the Interior to pick up their biometric ID.

Further details will be available at registration.

Payment Information for New Students Seeking a Letter of Acceptance

Academically qualified visa seeking students need to pay the first semester tuition and all the applicable fees in order to receive a confirmation of student status for visa purposes, i.e.:

  • CZK 81,500 for bachelor students / CZK 76,500 for LL.B. students
  • CZK 89,000 for master students
  • CZK 60,000 for MBA students

Student status confirmation shall be issued by the Student Services Center of the Anglo-American University only after receiving the appropriate payments in full.

Refunds Policy

Students who are denied a visa for whatever reason may ask for a refund. If this happens to you, please inform the Student Services Center without delay and include written evidence that the visa has been denied (usually a statement in writing from the Ministry of the Interior). Written evidence is REQUIRED for us to consider a refund, we cannot refund your fees without it. After we have received documentation to show your visa has been denied, we will refund your tuition in full (less banking fees and the admissions fee) within 10 working days. The refund will be remitted to the same bank account from which the original tuition payment was transferred.

Changes in Study Load

New students granted a visa are eligible to register for classes during the registration period as specified in the Academic Calendar. If a new student registers for a smaller number of classes than those for which he/she has already paid, the difference will be transferred as credit toward the student’s next semester. No refund will be made. If a new student registers for a larger number of classes than those for which he/she has already paid, he/she must pay the difference within the tuition deadlines specified in the Academic Calendar.

Information for Continuing Students And Visa Renewals

Different payment rules apply to our continuing/existing students, who are seeking to renew their visa or residence permit in order to continue their studies.

Under current Czech immigration law, Anglo-American University is required to provide the Czech Ministry of the Interior with accurate and up-to-date lists of foreign nationals who have registered for study. As all students enter into a student contract with AAU under which they are obliged to, among other things, pay their tuition and all applicable fees within set deadlines (either as they appear in the Academic Calendar, or in a previously arranged Installment Agreement), AAU will consider any failure to duly pay the agreed amounts as a violation of said student contract. In accordance with its legal obligations, AAU will immediately inform the Czech Foreign Police of any such violations. This may result in the suspension of the visa of the respective student. In order to fully implement and practice this policy AAU will require that each student submit a signed “Affidavit” available at the AAU Student Services Center.

PLEASE NOTE: It is each student’s own responsibility to duly pay his/her tuition, either in full or in contractually bound installments, and to do so on time. Anglo-American University is not obliged to continually notify students of their respective deadlines.

All third-country nationals applying for a visa (or a residence permit) to study in the Czech Republic are required by law to have adequate health insurance. Although you do not have to have health insurance at the time you first apply for your visa, you do have to present a document to show this has been finalized before the visa can be issued. The official minimum requirement for medical coverage is as follows:

 Travel medical insurance must cover the cost of emergency medical care, including medical evacuation or, in the event of death, repatriation of remains to the country that has issued the applicant’s travel document or to the applicant’s country of residence. The insurance policy must not exclude coverage for injuries and damage caused by the applicant’s intentional acts, injuries and damage caused by fault or contributory fault on the part of the applicant, and injuries and damage caused by the consumption of alcohol, narcotic and psychotropic substances by the applicant. The minimum coverage is EUR 60,000 per one insured event without any coinsurance or copayment. 

Your insurance policy must also be valid for the entire period of the visa (or residence permit) for which you are applying.

Choosing Your Insurance Company

The Czech Republic currently has very complicated rules regarding health insurance. Although it is theoretically possible to arrange cover with an international company for your initial visa application, you will be required to arrange insurance with a Czech provider at the time of your visa renewal. Foreign insurance policies issued in a language other than Czech must also be accompanied by an official (certified) Czech translation, which will add greatly to the cost of the insurance (as well as the administrative burden of collecting your visa documents together). For these reasons, we strongly recommend that you apply for Czech health insurance, rather than relying on an international company. AAU has a deal with UNIQA CZ, which allows you to apply for insurance online and printout insurance documents on the spot. If you do not see the form below, you can click here. For further details, please visit the UNIQA website.

UNIQA Insurance Form

You can apply for your insurance directly from this page by using the form below. If your browser does not support iframes, consider updating it or you can also find the form by clicking here. 

You may also apply for insurance from other eligible companies, if you prefer, but it is your responsibility to arrange delivery of insurance documents to the consulate and any necessary translations.

Insurance Links

The following links may be helpful: