Coronavirus Update for AAU Students, Faculty and Staff
AAU is a global university with students, faculty, and staff from around the world. Our priority is the wellbeing of our community and we are actively monitoring the situation. This is a follow up to our last update published on March 12, 2020.
Virtual classroom teaching started today, Friday, March 13 for classes that meet on Friday, and will last for the rest of spring semester, 2020.
Make sure you are ready to start your classes:
- Practice logging in to Microsoft Teams and NEO. Students should already have their Microsoft Teams login and password in AAU email – if not, click “password reset” in the Teams app or email email@example.com and ask for a password reset.
- Read your email carefully for instructions from your teachers and AAU’s IT department.
- Faculty will continue to take attendance and the attendance policy still applies. If there is something that will prevent you from joining your class at the regular time, contact your teacher(s) to let them know.
- Learning at a distance is different from in-class learning. Make sure you set aside plenty of time to study in a quiet place.
Reminder: AAU’s mid-term break is rescheduled to March 23 – 27, 2020. That means classes will run normally during the week of April 6 –10. We are rescheduling the break to allow for our teachers to work on adapting in-person classes to virtual classes.
The Czech Government declared a State of Emergency. What does that mean for students?
- The Czech Ministry of Interior has updated their website with information for foreigners regarding the state of emergency. The state of emergency will last 30 days. The government has suspended issuing visas and residence permits. (This is only valid for new applicants outside of the Czech Republic.)
- Study in the Czech Republic has put together a helpful list of Frequently Asked Questions regarding the coronavirus state of emergency
- The government has banned foreigners from 13 high-risk countries from entering the country, while Czechs are banned from visiting these countries. Those countries include China, South Korea, Iran, Italy, Spain, Austria , Germany, Switzerland, Sweden, Norway, Holland, Belgium, Great Britain, Denmark, and France.
- Restaurants, cafes, and other hospitality/catering venues will be open between 6am and 8pm only, beginning March 13th. Gyms, swimming pools, and other sports facilities, clubs, galleries, and libraries will also be closed as well as eateries in shopping malls.
- This article contains tips on how to prepare for a home quarantine or self-isolation.
Also keep in mind…
- As soon as we have more information on mid-term and final exams, State Exams, thesis defense and graduation plans we will notify you via email.
- If you are leaving Prague, make sure you return any textbooks you have borrowed. Contact the Library to make an appointment to return checked-out materials.
- The Academic Tutoring Center, Psychological Counseling and Career Center are all available to assist at a distance.
- Remember to check your AAU email, AAU social media channels, and the AAU website for the most updated information: https://www.aauni.edu/health-wellness/