Tony Ozuna, M.A.
Tony Ozuna is an American (from California), living in Europe since the early 1990s. At that time he worked as editor-in-chief and co-founder of Yazzyk Magazine, an English language literary and arts publication which focused on contemporary Czech fiction and poetry in translation. He studied Politics with an emphasis on Public Policy for an M.A. at the University of California, Santa Barbara (UCSB), and after finishing that program he worked as an academic researcher for the California Policy Seminar (UC Berkeley) and research assistant at UCSB for a project on Mass Media and Hispanic Politics. He earned his B.A. degree in Politics from the University of California, Irvine. He joined the faculty of Anglo-American University in 1995 and then began working in administration in 1998 as Coordinator of the School of Humanities. His teaching experience also includes Academic Writing for Ph.D. students at CERGE-EI, the Center for Economic Research & Graduate Education, of Charles University. He is currently Associate Dean of the School of Humanities & Social Sciences, and Associate Dean of the School of Journalism (Media & Communications).
As well, Tony Ozuna has been a writer over the years for a number of Prague-based publications including Umelec International, an arts magazine which published in four languages (Czech, English, German, and Spanish), the defunkt Prague Post, and the New Presence, a Prague-based political quarterly on Central European affairs, contributing essays and articles on art, music and politics. Presently, he is a regular contributor to Jazz in Europe, and occasionally to Hospodářské noviny.
Jazz, Contemporary Art
Publications & Other Activities
- Rituals and Sacred Spaces, group show with artists Alejandro Gomez de Tuddo, Rafani, Veronika Richterova, Jan Petranek, Drew Martin, and Natalia Vasquez (GALERIE CALIFIA, HORAŽĎOVICE, 1. 8.–19. 9, 20012) http://www.galeriecalifia.net/rituals-sacred-spaces?set_lang=en
- The Freak Show, group show with artists Veronika Bromova, Josef Bolf, Doro Krol, Lenka Vitkova, Marie Hladikova, Clint Takeda, Jolana Rucharova, and Drew Martin
- GALERIE CALIFIA, HORAŽĎOVICE, 21. 8.–31. 10, 2009, http://www.galeriecalifia.net/freak-show
- The Freak Show II, group show with Veronika Bromova, Josef Bolf, Lenka Klodova, Clint Takeda, Lenka Vitkova, Marie Hladikova, Jolana Rucharova, and Drew Martin, A.M. 180, PRAGUE, 13.8.–27.9.2010
- “Censor This!” Umělec, volume 14, 2-2010
- “El Czechano” The Return of Král Majáles. Prague’s International Literary Renaissance 1990–2010. An Anthology. Ed. Louis Armand. Prague: Univerzita Karlova v Praze, 2010. 621–645. Print.
- “21st Century Czech Decadence”, Umělec Live, March 2–June 9, 2010, http://www.divus.cz/umelec/live_page.php?item=20
- “1989. End of History or Beginning of the Future?”, Umělec Live, October 9, 2009–February 7, 2010, http://www.divus.cz/umelec/live_page.php?item=12
- “Muz Bez Korenu”, Los Angeles Hosti Vystavu Znameho Ceskeho Fotografa Josefa Koudelky. Expozice Pote Poputuje Do Madridu. Hospodarske Noviny, Kultura, Ledna 2015, http://archiv.ihned.cz/c1-63438200-josef-koudelka-getty