Josef Šíma, Ph.D.
Josef Šíma, Ph.D., is professor of economics and president emeritus of the CEVRO Institute. He earned his Ph.D. in Economics and his M.A. in Finance and International Politics at the University of Economics, Prague. He also serves as president of an interdisciplinary annual conference that has met in Prague since 2005, Prague Conference on Political Economy. Josef translated over 10 books (including Ludwig von Mises’s Human Action, Murray Rothbard’s Man, Economy and State, or Milton Friedman’s The Money Mischief) and supervised publication of tens of more. He has published dozens of articles in professional and popular journals, and a number of his own books.
Specializations: Economic Policy, Comparative Political Economy, Austrian School of Economics
Awards, Named Lectures and Visiting Professorships:
- 2003: „Outstanding Faculty Award for Teaching Excellence“, University of New York/Prague
- 2006 Mises Memorial Lecture, Auburn, USA – „The Quest for Property-Based, Misesian Economics“
- 2006 Quarterly Conservative Economic Lecture, Konzervativní Institut, Bratislava – „Private Property vs. Public Interest“
- February–August 2003: Visiting Scholar at the Program for Market and Institutions of the James Buchanan Center for Political Economy at George Mason University, Fairfax, VA, U.S.A
- March 2004: Visiting Professor – University of Richmond, Richmond, VA, U.S.A
- June–September 2005: Visiting Professor – Chaminade University, Honolulu, HI, U.S.A.
- June 2011: Visiting Professor – Romanian American University, Bucharest, Romania
- January 2015: Visiting Professor – University of Angers, Francie
Publications & Other Activities:
- ŠÍMA, Josef. Dynamic Efficiency in the Process of Desocialization. In Bagus, Philipp & Howden, David. The Emergence of a Tradition: Essays in Honor of Jesús Huerta de Soto. Palgrave, 2022. vol. I. (in print)
- ŠÍMA, Josef, MRKLAS Ladislav. On perception of freedom in post-socialist Central Europe. In Tomáš Gábriš/Ján Sombati. Central and Eastern Europe as a Double Periphery? Berlin: Peter Lang, 2020. s. 109-132. Central and Eastern European Forum for Legal, Politcal, and Social Theory Yearbook, vol. 9. ISBN 978-3-631-83061-1.
- ŠÍMA, Josef. Austrian School identity and unavoidable trade-offs in its long-term progress. Advances in Austrian Economics. 2019, roč. 24, s. 67-68, 12 s. ISSN 1529-2134. doi:10.1108/S1529-213420190000024006.
- ŠÍMA, Josef. Ekonomie jako věda o morálce. Theologická revue. Praha: UK – Husitská teologická fakulta, 2018, roč. 89, č. 3, s. 343-348. ISSN 1211-7617.
- ŠÍMA, Josef, NIKODÝM, Tomáš. Classical Liberalism in the Czech Republic. ECON JOURNAL WATCH. FAIRFAX: INST SPONTANEOUS ORDER ECONOMICS, 2015, roč. 12, č. 2, s. 274-292. ISSN 1933-527X.