Robert Horvitz, B.A.
Robert Horvitz was born in New Bedford, Massachusetts (USA) and studied art at Yale University. Upon completion of his B.A. degree he was hired by Yale to teach drawing. From there he went on to teach courses in contemporary art at the Rhode Island School of Design and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and studio art at Phillips and Abbott Academies. In the 1970s he was a regular contributor of feature articles to Artforum magazine, writing about artists like Chris Burden, Alan Sonfist and Alan Sondheim. He was Art Editor of the Whole Earth publications from 1977 until 1991 when he moved to Prague. Horvitz has exhibited his drawings at the Museum of Modern Art in New York, the Institute for Contemporary Art in Boston, the Akron Art Institute and elsewhere.
Drawing, Digital Media
Publications & Other Activities
- “Interview: Seth Siegelaub / Robert Horvitz / Thomas Levin – ‘I think we can make some trouble there’.” In the exhibition catalog for Seth Siegelaub: Beyond Conceptual Art, Stedelijk Museum, Amsterdam (2016), pages 330-342 ISBN 978-3-86335-824-2
- R. Horvitz and S. Forge. “A Case Study of ONA: East Africa’s One Network Area”, International Telecommunication Union, Geneva (2016) – http://www.itu.int/en/ITU-D/Regulatory-Market/Pages/default.aspx
- S. Forge, R. Horvitz and C. Blackman. “Is Commercial Cellular Suitable for Mission Critical Broadband?” Final report to the European Commission, Brussels (2014) – http://ec.europa.eu/information_society/newsroom/image/smart_2013_0016_final_report_8211.pdf
- R. Horvitz. “Geo-Database Management of White Space vs Open Spectrum”, in TV White Spaces: A Pragmatic Approach, edited by E. Pietrosomoli and M. Zennaro, Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics, Trieste (2013) – http://ssrn.com/abstract=2279099
- S. Forge, R. Horvitz and C. Blackman. “Perspectives on the Value of Shared Spectrum Access”. Final report to the European Commission, Brussels (2012) –http://ec.europa.eu/information_society/policy/ecomm/radio_spectrum/_document_storage/ studies/shared_use_2012/scf_study_shared_spectrum_access_20120210.pdf