The Anatomy of Lies – a negotiation skill
Evaluating Truthfulness and Credibility (ETaC), a Paul Ekman International certified course
|Date||July 21 - 23, 2021|
AAU Academy Brochure
Please submit your details in order to receive the AAU Academy Bochure via email.
This three-day course will teach you how to read and evaluate others through their verbal and non-verbal behaviours and use this skill to accurately evaluate their credibility or uncover their deception.
In most interactions, individuals put too much emphasis on the spoken words. This approach results in a significant loss of information and is ineffective in assessing the credibility of others. During this program you will go far beyond just analyzing the words, you will learn how to read and interpret all 5 core channels of communication and how these can be used to expose the true thoughts of others.
- You will understand the psychological concept of truthfulness and deception used by forensic specialists
- You will understand the importance of baseline in non-verbal communication analysis and learn to observe and analyze 5 channels of communication (verbal content, verbal style, facial expression, body language and voice) in order to identify Hot Spots (possible signs of deception).
- You will train powerful questioning strategies to probe those Hot Spots.
The workshop combines lecture sessions, discussions, model exercises and tests. It uses a combination of in-class learning, with interaction between participants and the lecturer, with work on a modern online platform which supplements classes and enables cooperation between individuals and teams.
Schedule and Course Content
For a detailed course schedule and content, please download the Course Outline.
- Truth and lie definition.
- Types of lies.
- Models for truth and lie evaluation.
- HoT spots methodology – leakage and baseline change observation.
- 5 channels of communication
- Facial expressions recap
- Body language and gestures
- The voice and verbal style
- Verbal content analysis
- Preparation for the interview/interrogation
- Powerful questions
- Video analysis
- Interview/interrogation exercises
AAU Academy Instructor, Personal Advancement Courses
Psychologist, HR Consultant
Jan Ženatý is a passionate speaker and a Paul Ekman International approved trainer of Emotional skills and Evaluating credibility. He has eight years of experience with individual and team coaching, soft-skills training, and facilitating assessment and development centers. Jan is also a certified instructor of Firewalking empowerment trainings. He specializes in developing and delivering complex HR solutions such as talent programs, managerial academies, T3, and other long-term coaching-approach-based development and change projects.
See what our students have to say
We do almost all of our projects in small international teams, and we work together like we would in a business company and synergize our different ideas. There's flexibilities to meet with teachers outside of class, and ask them questions, not just specifically things we learn in the class.
Business Administration, United States of America
AAU makes networking incredibly easy to do. I was able to participate in various events that don't necessarily connect to my coursework like conferences, literature festivals, debates, lectures, etc. When I was President of the Diplomatic Club, AAU helped me get in touch with event-organizers, which, for example, allowed us to host an event during the Festival of Democracy organized by the famous Forum 2000 conference.
Business Administration, Russian Federation