Social Media Skills for Success
Become a confident social media storyteller and learn how to improve your, or your company’s, social media presence in this one-day crash course.
|Date||October 14, 2021|
AAU Academy Brochure
Please submit your details in order to receive the AAU Academy Bochure via email.
Whether you are a freelancer, a nonprofit organization, or a small business owner, your social media presence can make or break your career. Social Media Skills for Success is a one-day crash course designed to support busy professionals advance themselves or their organization using social media.
This on-site class allows participants the opportunity to ask questions, get feedback in real time, and get a learning experience customized to their specific social media needs. If participants have a real-world task that they’re grappling with, they are encouraged to bring it here to work out in a safe, immersive, and accessible learning environment.
Let your inner influencer loose!
- A strong understanding of what are the different social media platforms and which platforms are best for every type of professional or personal social media user
- The foundations of copywriting for different social media platforms, the importance of writing for SEO, and an intermediate level of knowledge on how to do both
- A basic understanding of visual presentation using Canva for graphics and smartphone tools for vertical video storytelling.
- Strong knowledge of how to use Facebook and Instagram
- Myths about social media and mistakes to avoid
Participants will also be given a free handbook with creative prompts for boosting social media engagement, a guide for social media accessibility, and a PDF of all the slides. Participants are entitled to one free social media assessment for their company or individual Instagram account that includes an analysis of their engagement, impressions, audience demographics, audience interests, and more.
This workshop combines lecture sessions, discussions, and exercises. There will be no exam. Participants will be assessed based on their ability to apply the classroom skills to real-time situations taken from their own experiences.
The morning session will consist of presentations and discussions that lay the foundation for the afternoon session, which will be hands-on learning. No tools are necessary, but smart phones and laptops are encouraged.
Schedule and Course Content
For a detailed course schedule and content, please download the Course Outline.
Morning Session Content (3 hours)
- Social media platforms
- Copywriting for social media
- How to use Canva to create eye-catching visuals
- How to use your smartphone for visual storytelling
Afternoon Session Content (3 hours)
- Facebook and Instagram Boot Camp
- The last 30 minutes of class will be reserved to do one LIVE social media assessment in front of the class.
- Opportunities to schedule the remaining assessments will be available via email.
Handouts will be shared at the start of class.
Provided for all participants at Café des Taxis.
AAU Academy Instructor, Personal Advancement Courses
Christopher Sebastian is a journalist, technical writer, and social media marketing manager. He has five years of experience with social media management for companies. He has taught about digital and social media tools for political organizing at Columbia University, Cornell University, and Oxford University. He specializes in the use of advertising and marketing strategies for organizations and individuals using new media.
See what our students have to say
We do almost all of our projects in small international teams, and we work together like we would in a business company and synergize our different ideas. There's flexibilities to meet with teachers outside of class, and ask them questions, not just specifically things we learn in the class.
Business Administration, United States of America
AAU makes networking incredibly easy to do. I was able to participate in various events that don't necessarily connect to my coursework like conferences, literature festivals, debates, lectures, etc. When I was President of the Diplomatic Club, AAU helped me get in touch with event-organizers, which, for example, allowed us to host an event during the Festival of Democracy organized by the famous Forum 2000 conference.
Business Administration, Russian Federation