Jaroslav Anděl, Ph.D.
Letenska 5, Prague 1
Jaroslav Anděl is a conceptual artist, photographer, art historian, curator, and pedagogue. He studied photography at FAMU (1967–72) and art history at Charles University in Prague (1969–73). Received his PhD from Charles University in Prague in 1982.
Former director of the National Gallery in Prague’s Museum of Modern Art, the author of Avant-Garde Page Design, Alexandr Hackenschmied, editor of Art Into Life: Russian Constructivism 1914-1932, Czech Modernism 1900-1945 and other books on 20th century art. In 2001 he initiated Excavating the Future symposium in Prague. From 2008 to 2014 he was Artistic Director of DOX, Centre for Contemporary Art, Prague. From 2004-2008, he was Acting Artistic Director at DOX. He lives in New York and Prague. A short list of Andel’s activity in the most recent years, including his projects curator at DOX is below.
Jaroslav Anděl teaches interdisciplinary seminars for Visual Art Studies and Humanities as an Adjunct Distinguished Senior Lecturer.
Publications & Other Activities
- Research Residency, lanchonete.org, Sao Paulo, Brazil, April 2017.
- Consultant and Essayist, Fridman Gallery, New York, NOME Gallery, Berlin, Evidentiary Realism exhibition, February – March 2017.
- Guest Curator, Kunsthall Stavanger, Stavanger, Norway, The Child as Teacher: Art and Radical Pedagogy exhibition, January – March, 2017.
- ArtsEverywhere Editorial Workshop, Guelph, Ontario, Canada, January 22-24, 2017.
- Lecturer, Anglo-American University in Prague. Transdisciplinary Serendipity course, January 2017.
- Research Residency, Western Washington University, Bellingham, WA, November 2016.
- Consultant, Council of Europe. 4D Culture Conference and Exchange Platform, Tallinn, Estonia, November 29-30, 2016.
- Guest Editor, ArtsEverywhere.com. Has the Art World Lost It roundtable.
- Guest Curator, Espace Apollonia, Strasbourg, The Art of Urban Interference exhibition, April – May 2016.
- Consultant and Essayist, Council of Europe, Strasbourg, Council of Europe Exhibition Program conference, May 2, 2016.
- Research Residency, Hyde Park Art Center, Chicago, IL, April 2016.
- Speaker, IHME Festival, Helsinki, Finland, April 1, 2016
- Guest Curator, Reykjavik Art Museum, Reykjavik, Iceland. Back to the Sandbox exhibition, January – March 2016
- Consultant and Essayist, Council of Europe, Smart Creativity, Smart Democracy Conference and Exchange Platform, Linz, September 4-5, 2015.
- Guest Curator, Franzenfeste Fortezza, South Tyrol, Italy, Le Forme di Democrazia exhibition, November 2015 – March 2016.
- 2008 to 2015
- Artistic Director, DOX, Centre for Contemporary Art, Prague
- Curator, editor, and essayist for the exhibitions at the DOX Centre for Contemporary Art:
- Modes of Democracy, November 2014 – March 2015.
- Where Is My Home, October 2013 – January 2014.
- Disabled by Normality, June – October 2013.
- Krzysztof Wodiczko: Out/Insiders, February – May 2013.
- Jonas Mekas: …As I Am Moving Ahead… Glimpses of the Past Linger…,, January – April 2013.
- Cartographies of Hope: Change Narratives, October 2012 – January 2013.
- Democracy in Action, April – May 2012.
- Václav Havel: The Heroic Imagination, Columbia University, New York, March – April 2012; College of Europe, Bruges, Belgium, October 2012.
- Karel Nepraš, June – October 2012.
- Art Salon: Painting, May 2012.
- The Lucifer Effect: Encountering Evil, October 2011 – January 2012.
- Thinking Without Limits: Inspired by Rudolf Steiner, May – September 2011.
- Pavel Büchler: Labour in Vain, May – September 2010.
- The Future of the Future, July – October 2010.
- František Matoušek: de Nîmes, January – March 2010.
- Chelsea Hotel: Ghosts of Bohemia, December 2009 – March 2010.
- Tomorrow Starts Yesterday, October – November 2009.
- Douglas Gordon: Blood, Sweat, Tears, June – September 2009.
- Barbora Šlapetová, Lukáš Rittstein: Manop, The Fial First, March – May 2009.
- Markus Huemer: Answers Don’t Fall from the Sky, Either, February – May 2009.
- OX & Holešovice: Places in Motion, February – April, 2009
- Welcome to Capitalism! October 2008 – February 2009.
- Consultant and member of the exhibition project working group Critique and Crises: Art in Europe 1945-2012, Deutsche Historische Museum, Berlin, scheduled to open in October 2012.
- Founding Artistic Director, DOX, Centre for Contemporary Art, Prague
- With the DOX founder Leoš Válka, developed the project of a new international center for contemporary art, including an exhibition program.
- Esayist, National Galleries of Scotland, Edinburgh. Douglas Gordon: Superhumanatural exhibition catalog. November 2006-January 2007.
- Guest Curator, Royal Institute of British Architect, London. The New Vision for the New Architecture: Czechoslovakia 1918-1938 exhibition and accompanying book published by Scalo. March –April 2006.