Anglo-American University cultivates a global learning environment, promoting analytical, creative and practical thinking in the pursuit of academic excellence.Contact Us
This undergraduate journalism program uniquely combines an education in politics and culture studies with modern journalistic skills and practices. Students become specialists in media and news literacy, and they build proficiency in reporting and publicity on the platform of domestic and foreign policy, society, and culture.
This Journalism and Communications bachelor’s program emphasises media environments where technologies, languages, and cultures converge. Technologies that enable real time communications across national borders are changing the character of professional journalism. In the age of social media, journalism is seeing new challenges and new forms of complexity.
Students actively develop an advanced level of written and spoken English as they complete courses that involve individual and teamwork exercises in reporting, editorial design, video editing and production, digital photography, and web content development.
Graduates of the Journalism and Communications bachelor's program can expect to:
- Possess competency in print and web media, including web page development, video editing, podcasting, digital photography, as well as reporting, editorial design, and in-depth investigative journalism
- Have an actionable knowledge of journalism’s role in democratic governments, societies cultures, and the arts.
- Be familiar with multiple editorial and reporting processes and strategies
- Apply advanced English speaking and writing skills for specific, public audiences from various cultural backgrounds
- Understand and uphold civic responsibility, identify social and ethical problems, and resourcefully structure debate with respect to civil society, colleagues, and opponents
The B.A. in Journalism and Communications is a full-time study program.
Full-time: Study and advancement is based on classroom lectures and interactive exercises. Attendance and participation are mandatory.
- 7 class hours = 1 ECTS credit
- 42 hours = 6 ECTS/3 US credits
Your Degree & After
Having completed all program requirements, students are conferred a Bachelors degree. The degree awarded is concurrently recognized as a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) in the United States, per AAU's accreditation by the WASC Senior College and University Commission, and as a Bakalář (Bc.) accredited by the Ministry of Education of the Czech Republic. Graduates may select whether to use the U.S. post-nominal or the Czech title.
Our graduates are prepared for success in cultural management, reporting, or diplomacy, humanitarian government and nonprofit organizations, education, social research and publishing, and various forms of print and web media. Our graduates are able to decisively practice their skills in intercultural communication, psychology, and sociological concepts in any field they choose to pursue.
Our graduates are able to communicate professionally, decisively and strategically in verbal and written English. Our graduates are able to identify, describe and discuss complex topics for international audiences.
Access to Master’s Studies
AAU graduates are sought after in master’s programs at private and public universities in the Czech Republic, other EU countries, the United States, Canada and many other countries around the world.
General Education Courses
- Composition 1
- Composition 2
- World History 2
- European History 2
- Intro to Law
- Intro to Economic Thought
- New Media—Digital Tools
School Foundation Courses
- Intro to Politics 1
- Intro to Politics 2
- Intro to Sociology
- Intro to Psychology/ Social Psychology
- Intro to Mass Communication
- Pol. Geography/Pol. Economy
School Core Courses
- Intro to Reporting 1 (News)
- Intro to Reporting 2 (Features)
- New Editing & Ethics in an Age of Instant News
- Documentary Photography
- Broadcast News and Video Prod
- “Genres in Journalism”
- Intercultural Communications
- Popular Culture & Media Theory
- Media Impact in New Europe
- Media in a Democracy
- Visual Culture
- History of Media/Broadcasting
- JRN, HSC, PS elective
- JRN, HSC, PS elective
- SENIOR THESIS
Journalism & Communication Electives
- International Media (fulfills genres requirement)
- Cultural Reporting (fulfills genres requirement)
- International Reporting (fulfills genres requirement)
- International Journalism (fulfills genres requirement)
- Feature Writing (fulfills genres requirement)
- Foreign Reporting (fulfills genres requirement)
- Creative Writing
- Propaganda & Information
- Surveillance & Society
- Digital Audio Tools
- Digital Photography
- Language & Power
- Documentary Film Seminar
- Public Relations & Media
Exam and Assessment Regulation
AAU uses the U.S. grading and evaluation system complemented by the European Credit Transfer System (“ECTS”). For more information on assessment and related policies see the Study and Examination Code in the Academic Codex.
The B.A. in Journalism and Communications program was accredited by the Czech Republic Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports on January 2010 (code number B7202 – 7202R025) thereby qualifying graduates to apply for postgraduate Ph.D. programs at private and public universities in the Czech Republic, other EU countries, the United States, Canada, and many other countries around the world.
AAU actively participates in the EU's Erasmus+ exchange program with over 30 European university partners. Additional exchanges exist with universities in North America, Australia, and Asia. These exchanges enable students to partially complete their studies in another country. Ask the Dean for more information on what Erasmus+ and exchange opportunities might be available.
Internship & Mentoring
All students at AAU’s School of Humanities & Social Sciences are required to complete an internship credit. The School of Journalism and the Career Center offer assistance, advice and guidance to ensure that students are able to fulfill this requirement. Ask the Career Center Specialist for more information on what internship opportunities are currently available.